Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mad Kate

The Gothic Nightmares exhibition in London (Tate Britain) was pretty good. After a bit of an edgy start, M and I had a good day together on his birthday on Wednesday, first at the Tate Britain, then Gaby's (a v. good Greek/turkish deli. just off Leicester square) for falafel. Second time in a week, as I went there with Luce on Saturday at the end of our day together, also for falafel.

(Disturbing digestive goings on on Thursday. My stomach was making noises like an extremely aged, nearly defunct central heating system all day. Too much chick pea?)


Here is the beginning of my day with L on Sat. - I only took this one pic. of Luce taking her picture.

It occurred to me (too late) that I should have taken pics of her every time she took one.... I could have done a blog about her doing her blog.

Would that have been silly, or just a little bit sad?

And we should really have taken a pic. of the huge pieces (3) of cake
which arrived with our "tea and cake for 2"
at the National Portrait Gallery. We didn't. We did eat them though (mostly...).





We (Luce and I) also went to the Americans in Paris exhibition at the National Gallery.

So I've had a most cultural week.


Whistler's Mother was there (as seen on the left)
(but not Mrs. Bradshaw*).




Lots of elegant and languid women and men with beards and sharp suits.

Some lovely paintings of mothers with children

- including this one by Mary Cassatt. What do you think this woman is doing?



Blogging, maybe?




The Gothic Nightmares exhibition was a very interesting and stark contrast. Full of spirits, supernatural creatures, beasts and monsters - also the odd ghost (though not Miss Wilmott's ghost*). Lots of heaving bosoms, wildly staring eyes, dangerous women. As typified by this painting of "Mad Kate", by Fuseli.
Hmmm.

One painter there had represented the Spanish Inquisition as a woman. (It could have been Fuseli again - maybe he had "issues".)
Typical really.
Especially considering how many women were victims of that mad, power-crazed and male institution.

Anyway, despite M feeling totally miserable about his birthday for a range of reasons, (including the fact that he is now closer to 50 than to 40) (welcome to the club)
- it was a good and relaxing day (even by his own admission).
(Phew)

Things can only get better.

Thats not true, obviously.
But they might.

As its been a week of art, Dillo|(s) No. 18 are some sketches of dillos. A birthday card for M. from a previous, long-distant year.





(* if this means nothing to you, click here)

20 comments:

ramblingwoman said...

Those dillo's are fantastic. As you know I rather like a bit of art,what.

Sounds like you've had a very cultural time (I should know I was there for some of it! -are you going to mention our film?)

Meg said...

You put me on your list of blogs. Thank you, that is very sweet.

How do I put one of those together oh blogger expert? I presume it is in the same place as I installed the neocounter. Do you mind helping me again?

I went to see the Gothic Nightmares too last week. It left me with a bit of a headache but the person I was with had to be dragged away and couldn't get enough of it.

I think 50 does feel like the big milestone these days. I was very glad to get it out of the way. Life the other side is much better.

lettuce said...

Well no, RW, I thought you were going to blog about our Saturday.....

Molly Bloom said...

Lovely artistic entry Lettuce. I enjoyed looking at those artworks. Also loved those drawings!

Meg said...

Thanks Lettuce. I will have a go at the sidebar later. I really must now go up the allotment with Dorothy.

Molly Bloom said...

Do you think 'Mad Kate' looks like Cherie Blair?

lettuce said...

HA HA HA - yes, she does rather, doesn't she?

Molly Bloom said...

I wonder if I can catch you here. I just missed you on my blog.

Molly Bloom said...

I'm really laughing now because I'm pretending to be in a Laurel and Hardy movie.

Molly Bloom said...

It would be really funny if you had gone back to mine now. Hee hee.

Molly Bloom said...

I think you've gone now. At least I tried. xxxx hee hee.

Meg said...

I think you and Betty are quite quite potty.

I just copy what everyone else up the allotment is doing. They are all putting down these sheets at the moment.

Meg said...

Are you still there, Lettuce.

I've tried to do the links thing and despite what Wendy says I seem to be struggling a bit. You and Le Chat have appeared but no heading or anything.

I'll try again.

Meg said...

Success.

Thanks for your help.

Tracie P. said...

if you take a pic of her taking a picture of you taking a pic of her it could be like, blogfinity, you know?

thanks for viztin...and just so you know, i thinks strays are way more intelligent than pure-breds:)

Tanya said...

Oh Lettuce I love falafel. I remember part of going to camden market was having falafel in pittas as you walked around. I might need to have some.. Looks so cultural as usual your blog..Mine is nothing but smut and rabbits...When you come we'll go to the palace of the kings, it's beautiful and you have to see it.

ramblingwoman said...

Lettuce I think you have now been crowned 'Queen of Culture' in our little corner of the blogosphere. You know you'll have to keep it up now? (no pressure!)

lettuce said...

Oh no! my next blog was going to be about window cleaning.

Tats made me think about it and ours are a bloody disgrace!

Tanya said...

I somehow made you think of window cleaning? was it the word smut or rabbit?? boggles mind :-/ I'll email you all the strike thingey later, it's so easy and something i've always wanted to do apart from water ski naked that is!

Tanya said...

Just e-mailed you, yes cabbing. He's back monday and then Tracs here wednesday :-)