Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Alien artefacts?

This is a quick collection of bits and bobs. ("Quick" as I often aim to be but don't so often achieve.....)

Firstly a couple more pics. of my beautiful beloved roses:
I almost didn't buy this rose because its called Schoolgirl. I ask you - "Schoolgirl" - for goodness sake!

Its actually a fairly modern rose, but with the look of an old cabbage rose and some scent. And the colour is more peachy than it looks here. Its supposed to climb but hasn't yet had much of a chance, being swamped by other more vigorous plants.

My garden is somewhat permissive - almost anything which roots itself is given a chance. Theres no such thing as weeds, just a couple of things which I don't welcome. This Spring my lawn grass was full of forget-me-nots, which the guinea pigs have been neatly mowing around. So its also a garden of/for the fittest to survive, as they all have to compete with overcrowding, slugs, snails and lack of due care and attention.

I heartily recommend this gardening style, which can be satisfactorily excused as "naturalistic" or as a "cottage garden".

This second white rose is imaginatively called "White Cloud". Still, probably a better naming than Schoolgirl, or indeed Golden Showers (thanks Molly! I'll never look at that one in the same way again).

Its a very lovely ice-creamy sort of rose. Really good, expensive, organic ice cream made with real vanilla pod.





And finally (for now)(with reference to the roses that is) this is my Graham
Th
omas rose, one of my most favourite. Its a David Austen rose with a delicate and delicious jasmine/tea scent and a wonderful luminous apricot glow.

Second, about time for another armadillo. Yes, there are still a few still to make their debut - had you forgotten about the dillos? shame on you! (if you're familiar with my blog) {if not, you have some excuse for not knowing what on earth I am talking about} and the last one (still to come) is particularly to be anticipated, being the Ur-Dillo, the source of them all. So I'll hurry the dillos along a bit over the next few posts.

This is, according to my reckoning, No. 26 and its a Wade whimsy dillo. Slightly slug-like, but not enough to cause me too much anxiety.


Not so much a quick blog then, after all. Even for those of us less naturally inclined to ramble than others, blogging seems to foster rambling abilities...

but this is finally final, as well as being
Thirdly:
Quiz of the week - Alien Artefacts

Animal, vegetable or mineral?

Whatever on earth are these?


Your only clue (for starters, at least) is:

My daughter, LG, is responsible for them (in the sense of creating them, not in the sense of taking responsibility to NOT leave them lying, littering, lurking all around the house just lately).

11 comments:

Molly Bloom said...

What are my husband's fingernail and toenail clippings doing at your house Let? Is there something you're not telling me?

ramblingwoman said...

they do look like clippings, ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

Or petals that have shaped over her fingers?

Lovely Graham Thomas Lettie! (and other flowers)

ramblingwoman said...

They make me feel ill.

ramblingwoman said...

Yes, I agree I would say wax, though who would have a flesh coloured candle?

leon's life said...

I'd say wax petals too

Cream said...

I often do something similar when I'm bored at the dinner table...
I grab a bit of candlewax and play with it...
My art doesn't always smell of roses...

The fabric of my life said...

Yep I'm up for wax fingertips too. I used to do this constantly as a child. I was obsessed with the open fire, wax, candles, of which we had many as we had no electricity or gas, just candles.

The fabric of my life said...

Meant to say nice roses :-)

Identikit said...

I suppose I should go with the flow re the horrid things. Unless they are part of an ood of course.

As for the roses, I'm not sure if I am just feeling Andy Brown but they seem to be out to get me, following me down the street, trying to spike me with their thorns. I wonder if Andy Brown is a Graham Austen rose too?

lettuce said...

ood? isn't that something to do with design software???

hahaha - no, I don't think he's a rose. Though sometimes quite prickly its true.

Could we henceforth forthwith abbreviate this to AB? you know, just in case he's googling himself.... or is that too AB of me?

Bird said...

i thought wax fingertips too.

i love the roses.

i want to live in your garden.

i can't decide which rose i like best. must have ALL of them.

my miniature yellows on the balcony seem to doing ok so far. but i would so love a wild, rambling, climbing-up-over-the balcony-and-trailing-down rose.

sigh.